SUSQUEHANNA TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17109
SNOW AND ICE EMERGENCIES FOR BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
In the event of snow and ice emergencies, the Business Manager is responsible to do the following:
- The school district - as to current road conditions in the township. Township police cooperate in advising of potential flooding or ice conditions that could affect school bus routes.
- The district owns limited snow removal equipment. These vehicles can handle minimal snowfalls and are dispatched to various district properties as needed. In the event that district employees are not able to remove snow with district equipment, the Business Manager and/or Superintendent may contract with snow removal companies. Decisions will be based on the most competitive hourly rate and availability.
- The township provides the district with salt and cinders, utilizing district equipment. The township can be requested to cinder school district roadways, if possible.
- Principals should advise district office as to any particular conditions that require maintenance service due to adverse weather conditions.
- In the event of school closing, due to winter storms, members of the night and daylight custodial and maintenance crews are to report to their respective buildings as soon as safely possible. They are then assigned specific jobs to expedite snow and ice removal from walkways, etc.
Approved by the School Board - June 8, 1987
Amended by the School Board - January 22, 1996