SUSQUEHANNA TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17109
ENTRANCE AGE TO SCHOOL
Any student entering kindergarten must be five years of age on or before September 1. Any child entering first grade must be six years of age on or before September 1.
Documentation of age required for admission may be satisfied by a:
- Baptismal certificate or transcript of the record of baptism – duly certified and showing the date of birth.
- Duly attested transcript of the birth certificate.
- Duly certified transcript of birth, which shall appear satisfactory to the local school – if none of the above mentioned proofs are obtainable.
No student who was less than five years of age on September 1 of a school term will be enrolled in kindergarten during that school term, unless transferring from a public school district which has a minimum entry age for kindergarten less than five years of age.
No student who was less than six years of age on September 1 of a school term will be enrolled in the first grade during that school term, unless transferring from a public school district which has a minimum entry age for first graders less than six years of age.
Students may be granted early admission to first grade by meeting the following requirements:
- Formal written request by Parent/Guardian.
- Evidence of completion of a standards based kindergarten curriculum, delivered by a public school district or licensed kindergarten institution.
- Student participation in screening assessment administered by school district personnel.
- Recommendation by school district administration.
Susquehanna Township School District is not required to admit, as a first grader, any child whose age is less than the district’s established age for first graders.
A student who is less than seven years of age on September 1 of a school term may be considered for enrollment in second grade if the student will be seven years of age prior to December 30th of the same term.
Approved by the School Board – March 27, 1972
Amended by the School Board – June 9, 1987
Amended by the School Board – February 25, 1998
Amended by the School Board – March 19, 2001
Amended by the School Board – March 23, 2009