SUSQUEHANNA TOWNSHIP SCHOOL DISTRICT
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17109
The Susquehanna Township School District accepts the concept of citizen and community support of extra-curricular and co-curricular activities, parent, teacher and/or student organizations, and intramural and interscholastic athletic programs sponsored by the School District. Further, the Board of Directors of the Susquehanna Township School District recognizes that involvement and contributions by Booster Clubs can add to the quality of a student’s school life at the Susquehanna Township School District. The purpose of the Booster Club is to support and further the activities within the School District. Therefore, these activities should be consistent with the philosophy and objectives of the Susquehanna Township School District and its Board policies. As such, the activities and actions of such Booster Clubs can impact whether or not a school group, athletic team and/or individual is eligible to participate in sanctioned events.
A Booster Club is defined as any parental or community support group that provides services, supplies, awards, funds, equipment, materials or instruction for a School District sponsored program. These programs include, but are not limited to athletic, non-athletic, interscholastic, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs.
The Board acknowledges that the purpose of Booster Clubs is to assist and support, but not to direct or supplant, the existing activity or program. Therefore, it is imperative that all School District sponsored activities remain under the control, direction and supervision of the Board of School Directors through its administrative team and its duly appointed professional employees or subcontractors. Only those Booster Clubs operating under bylaws approved by the Board of School Directors may apply for recognition from the Board of School Directors on an annual basis. A Booster Club, in order to be recognized and acknowledged by the Board of School Directors, must conduct its activities in a manner that is consistent with the philosophy, mission and objectives of the School District and this policy.
The Board is well aware that the members of these Booster Clubs donate countless hours and financial resources to their respective organizations and that certain District programs would suffer without the assistance and involvement of Booster Clubs. The Board also recognizes that the focus of each Booster Club is on the students and that these groups contribute in a material way through the provision of services, supplies and equipment to School District students, thereby reducing the financial burden to the District taxpayers. However, all contributions of services, supplies and equipment must be pre-approved by the Athletic Director.
The Board of Directors wishes to further provide Booster Clubs the opportunity to support local school programs (both athletic and non-athletic) however, the Board of School Directors also requires that these Booster Clubs adhere to all Board, District, and State and federal statutes, regulations, and policies. In order to maintain good standing with the Board of School Directors, all Booster Clubs which are recognized by the Board of School Directors shall adhere to the guidelines set forth below. Failure to comply shall result in the loss of Board recognition and the right to utilize or access school facilities.
A Booster Club, in order to maintain the recognition of the Susquehanna Township School District Board of School Directors, must adhere to the following on an annual basis:
- Verify that the Booster Club is in compliance with all rules and regulations promulgated by the Athletic Committee of the Susquehanna Township School District Board of Directors, the Board of School Directors, the PIAA and the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and of the United States
- The Booster Club must submit the following to the Board’s Athletic Committee (through the Department of the Athletic Director for the School District): its bylaws or similar rules; its purpose; its membership eligibility criteria; a specific statement that there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, or handicap; its dues structure, if any; names and titles of all officers and the duties of each officer; meeting schedules and requirements; the names of all subcommittees; and a summary of procedures to amend the bylaws.
- The Booster Club must submit to the Board’s Athletic Committee (through the Department of the Athletic Director) a comprehensive financial plan which shall, at a minimum, outline the proposed fundraising activities, the specific purpose of said fundraising activities, and any anticipated or recently completed major expenditures for said time period. The Board’s Athletic Committee shall coordinate the proposed fund raising and expenditures so that the Administration and Board can oversee the comprehensive fundraising plan for all organizations to avoid duplication of effort and improper activities. For purposes of this section, annual basis shall mean and require that the organization submit its financial report and fundraising plan no later than August 1 of each year.
- The Booster Club shall submit to the Board’s Athletic Committee (through the Department of the Athletic Director) a list of all officers by name and address and names of any additional contact persons. Any change of officers or contact persons after August 1 shall be reported immediately in writing to the Athletic Director.
- The Booster Club shall submit a letter to the Board’s Athletic Committee to confirm that its finances are in good standing and have been reviewed and approved by the treasurer. The letter must be signed by both the Booster Club president and treasurer. For the purposes of financial accountability, the Booster Club shall ensure that its treasurer is bonded.
- The Booster Club must confirm that it shall not require student participation in any fundraising activity as a condition of participation in the school-sponsored program or activity.
- The Booster Club shall confirm that it prohibits the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages at any and all functions on School District property or at any Booster Club sponsored function attended by students.
- The Booster Club shall confirm that it prohibits the use of any tobacco products at any and all functions on School District property or at any Booster Club sponsored function attended by students.
- The Booster Club shall ensure that all requests for the use of the school facilities and equipment comply with School District policies.
- The Booster Club shall confirm that no gift or award may be given to a student, directly or indirectly, without the prior approval of the Superintendent and/or the Board of School Directors, as may be appropriate. Further, the Booster Club shall confirm that all awards, gifts, or other items given to students not violate the policies of the School District, the PIAA or the NCAA.
Concerns or issues of Booster Clubs should first be directed through the appropriate coach, then through the Athletic Director, then to the Superintendent and finally, to the Board of School Directors. The Board of School Directors, the Superintendent, the Principal and/or the Athletic Director shall have the authority to void or cancel any and all fundraising activities or expenditures which they determine are not necessary, appropriate, or in the best interest of the School District and its students.
In conducting its activities, each Booster Club shall comply with the Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act, as amended, the Pennsylvania Small Games of Chance Act, or any other requirements established regarding fundraising. No Booster Club shall engage in any activities outside the guidelines established by the PIAA or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Any money which is to be spent for the purposes of maintaining a support staff of an instructional program for any high school, athletic, music programs or other extra- curricular activities and programs must be approved by the Athletic Director. Such contributions shall be deposited to the School District’s general fund and the District shall direct the payments in accordance with the School Code upon approval by the Board of School Directors. Any and all purchases of services, supplies, equipment, materials or instruction for a program or organization must be pre-approved by the Athletic Director. Prohibition of the contribution of services, supplies, equipment, materials and instruction without pre-approval by the Athletic Director is necessary to comply with Title IX Regulations.
No direct payments, outside PIAA Guidelines, shall be made to any student for attendance at tournaments, camps, or the like, without the expressed written consent of the School’s Athletic Director, Principal or Superintendent.
Only those Booster Clubs formally recognized by the Board of School Directors shall be eligible to be associated with the respective School District activity which it supports. Unrecognized Booster Clubs shall be denied the use of school facilities and equipment unless they have properly submitted a third party request for use of said facilities and equipment, paid the applicable fee and complied with all other requirements.
Approved by the School Board – November 24, 2008
Amended by the School Board – December 22, 2008